***For this application to be considered, it is important to complete it in its entirety. "See resume" in the application is discouraged. By clicking "submit," you declare under penalty of perjury (under the laws of the United States of America) that the information presented is true and correct. Please note: all job offers are contingent on a background and drug screen.*** Please read the following job description before completing application:
Summary: Process all transactions in accordance with the procedures and guidelines of the appropriate service agency to include but not limited to the Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles, Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, Department of Revenue, Department of Agriculture and the Florida Statutes. To provide courteous, accurate and efficient service and determine the customer’s needs and acts as an advocate to complete all transactions in that same courteous, accurate and efficient manner.
Terms of Employment:
Driver License: All employees in this position must possess a valid driver license in order to conduct driving tests.
Hours: It is understood that regularly scheduled office hours will be kept by all personnel. Attendance is an essential function and requirement of employment.
Work Schedule: The Customer Service Agent in a Full Time position will work a scheduled 40-hour work week exclusive of lunch hours. A Customer Service Agent in a Part Time position will work no more than 30 hours per week.
All employees are compensated according to an established salary schedule. Performance will be measured to evaluate achievement and allow for annual salary percentage or step increases. It is understood that regularly scheduled office hours will be kept by all personnel.
- All employees may be assigned to any Okaloosa County Tax Collector’s Office.
Education and Experience:
- Requires a High School diploma.
- Must be of good character.
- Must have previous experience working with the public.
- Ability to navigate multiple computer systems and functions simultaneously.
- Must have knowledge of basic procedures and principles of mathematics, business English and general office duties.
- Navigate computer software to accurately process Vehicle Registrations, Renewals, all title work and VIN inspection for vehicle transactions, Vessel, Motor Home, Trailer, Motorcycle, Low Speed Vehicle, Mobile Home registrations and disabled parking placard transactions, calculating and collecting all appropriate fees.
- Navigate computer software to accurately process current and delinquent real estate and tangible taxes, reviewing bills for correct information, calculating and collecting taxes and appropriate fees.
- Navigate computer software to accurately process Hunting & Fishing licenses, both residential and non-residential, and disabled, calculating and collecting all appropriate fees.
- Navigate computer software to accurately process Florida Driver’s License and/or Identification Cards utilizing the Florida Driver’s License Issuance System (FDLIS); Automated Driver’s License Testing System (ADLTS) and Commercial Driver’s License Issuance System (CDLIS), verifying documents, conducting eye examination, capturing photos, completing processes associated with suspensions, revocations, sanctions and cancelations accompanying and/or observing customer’s driving skill through the test course, calculating and collecting all appropriate fees.
- Navigate computer software to accurately process Concealed Weapons Permitting applications and renewals, conducting fingerprinting, capturing photos and calculating and collecting all appropriate fees and/or possess sufficient knowledge to keep the public informed of the processes and requirements as provided by the Florida Department of Agriculture.
- Navigate computer software to accurately process Florida Birth Certificate issuance and/or possess sufficient knowledge to keep the public informed of the processes and requirements as provided by the Florida Department of Health.
- Navigate computer software for the collection of all taxes and fees and for the daily managing and balancing of the assigned cash drawer, utilizing effective methods of cashiering. Performs addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in all units of measure, calculate discounts, interest, fees, proportion and percentages.
- Utilize on-line and/or hard copy policies and procedures from regulatory agencies to process all transactions and keep abreast of all change notices in policy and procedures to ensure accurate transaction processing. Read and interpret correspondence, procedure manuals, government regulations and instructions, to effectively communicate to customers in written or oral format.
- Assist lesser experienced staff in the processes, procedures and computer navigation of each transaction.
- Assist the public by providing respectful, courteous and knowledgeable customer service, via face to face, phone, letter, fax and/or email effectively and efficiently.
- Engage in special projects and/or assignments through participation in a Process Improvement Team or an Employee Fund Committee.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Continual Learning/Self-Management: Takes responsibility for own career, pursuing self-development through actively seeking learning in areas beyond current technical expertise, seeks challenging assignments, and engages in opportunities for self-improvement using a variety of learning approaches.
- Customer Service: Gains customer confidence through competence, good communications and trust, following through on customer questions, request and complaints, responding promptly and efficiently to request for help, information and services in a tactfully and courteous manner, and recognizes coworkers as customers and treats all with respect and consideration.
- Flexibility/Adaptability: Demonstrates openness to changes, adopting a positive attitude to new demands and is optimistic and accepting of necessary change, remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits a willingness to learn and use new procedures and technology, smoothly handles multiple demands, willing to work in all office locations.
- Integrity & Honesty: Behaves in an honest, fair and ethical manner, accepting personal responsibility not shifting blames to others, acts out of motivation to do the right thing, keeps organizational and personal information confidential where required and/or appropriate and refrains from spreading gossip.
- Interpersonal Skills: Treats others with courtesy, sensitivity and respect maintaining confidentiality, maintains effective working relationships with fellow team members, other agencies and the public, considering and responding appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of different people, seeking to understand the culture, beliefs, values, biases, preferences, and other drivers of behavior in oneself and others, avoids jumping to conclusions, demonstrates discretion and tact when correcting or questioning another’s ideas or action.
- Written/Oral Communication: Edits work for spelling and grammar, presents data effectively and is able to read and interpret written information, prepared to listen to other views, speaks in a way that is understandable to others and appropriately uses gestures, eye contact and vocal pitch to positively impact a message, makes clear and convincing oral presentations to individuals and small groups.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and works toward resolution of customer issues, within the context of own job, working to fix the problem, knowledge of where to locate information and whom to ask for assistance.
- Public Service Motivation: Exhibits the integrity and ethics expected of a public servant, demonstrating good citizenship in the workplace and community, projecting a positive image at work and in the community and models and supports the Okaloosa County Tax Collector’s values, mission and vision.
- Resilience: Balances priorities at work with personal life concerns and wellness, effectively deals with pressure, remains optimistic, tolerates change, seeks support during a crisis and quickly recovers from setbacks.
- Relationship & Team Building: Contributes to team/work group goals, supports team decisions, demonstrates honesty and responsibility and performs fair share of the work. Establishes effective working relationships with customers, co-workers, supervisors, managers and executive leadership team.
- Professionalism: Exhibits appropriate dress and demeanor of personal self and maintains a clean, neat and orderly work area.
- Dependability: Arrives to work and returns from lunch or break on time. Follows instructions and responds to directions in a respectful manner.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to interpret and apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written and oral form. Deal with complications involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Notary, when applicable
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, but not necessarily inclusive of all activities.
- Physical activities: stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, lift up to 25 pounds, talk and hear, and be able to ride in vehicles as a passenger with customers to conduct physical driving tests through a test course.
- Vision requirements: close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eyes to bring an object into sharp focus)
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to work in a climate controlled environment with a moderate noise level typical of normal business office with computers, printers and light to heavy foot traffic.
- Employees may be subject to outdoor weather, such as rain and cold, while conducting VIN verification and conducting physical driving tests.
ADA: Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Responsibilities listed are to be considered specific but not necessarily inclusive of all activities.
All employees serve at the pleasure of the Okaloosa County Tax Collector. The Tax Collector as an Elected, Constitutional Officer retains the right to make personnel changes and decisions deemed necessary to carry out the duties of the office and serve the people of Okaloosa County.